One of the most important things you need to focus on within your website is the interaction. What is interaction? It is the opportunity for website visitors to “interact” with your website. I realize I’ve just used the word to define the word so let me expand on that. Your website should minimally have 3 goals:
- Catch the eye of the visitor to keep them on the page
- Provide them with enough interesting sales material above the page fold to get them to dig into the site a bit more
- Give them an opportunity to find something out or “interact” on the website
In this exercise we’re going to focus on the Interaction portion. Interaction can take place different ways but usually it involves one of 2 ways:
- Push of a button – to find out something more or buy something
- Filling of a form – to submit a request or get a result posted back to you
Why is this so important? Besides looking good, your website is supposed to provide a function for you. That function may be to drive leads and inquires, register members, get someone to buy something or get them to call you (of course other functions may be needed for different sites – this is a generalization).
Let’s take a look at this site as an example and look at some of the Interactive elements we used to achieve this for the client.
This client is a pet store owner. They mostly sell pupppies and some other small animals. If you think about it, you generally want to go and see a puppy so you can play with it and hold it before you buy it. You also might want to be kept up to date on puppies becoming available over time if the one you want is not available. Our goal was to turn those desires into an interaction on the website. Here’s how we did it:
- Directly on the homepage are images of the most recent puppy additions. We created 2 options for the website visitor:
- Click on the pictures button to see a better picture
- Click on the “Hold Me” button to ask to have the puppy held for sale
- Use the Puppy Finder to find the type of puppy you’re looking for
- Sign up for the Newsletter to keep updated on puppies coming available
On the image above you see those 3 different Interaction options on the homepage alone.
You may ask yourself, which of these options works the best to generate inquiries.
Give us a call and we’ll go through it with you!